Direct PLUS Loans for Graduate and
Professional Degree Students
Direct PLUS Loans for graduate and professional degree students are available through the federal government. These loans have a fixed interest rate.
A Direct PLUS Loan for graduate and professional degree students allows you, the student, to borrow up to the difference between the cost of attendance (determined by the school) and the amount of your student aid package.
To be eligible for a Direct PLUS Loan for graduate and professional degree students, you must:
- Be a graduate or professional degree student
- Be a U.S. citizen or eligible noncitizen
- Be accepted for enrollment in a participating institution of higher learning or, if enrolled, be making satisfactory progress
- Be classified as at least a half-time student
- Not be in default on an education loan or owe any education grant refunds
- Be registered with Selective Service, if required
- Be creditworthy
How to Apply
Direct PLUS Loans for graduate and professional degree students are available only through the federal government. Please visit Student Aid on the Web for instructions on how to apply.
How Much Debt?
As a general rule of thumb, your debt payments (housing, credit cards, loans, etc.) should not exceed more than 37% of your gross income.
Keep this in mind if you take out a Direct PLUS Loan to help pay for your education.
Want to Know More?
- Use our loan repayment calculator to estimate your monthly payment amount.